Monday, July 18, 2005

INSANE 'N' MUNDANE

Running the AC in both the bedroom and dining room during a nap today made the fuse blow, and cut my slumber short. While flipping the circuit-breaker downstairs (make that down FOUR FLIGHTS of stairs) I noticed that the landlord has installed a cute little black-and-white bathroom in the corner of the basement. No idea why. Back upstairs, everything is still flashing "12" of course. Nothing little or cute up here.

My practice with Henry the Punk this morning was the only thing that saved me from myself. Backbends + Henry's wit = Sanity. For awhile anyway.*

Later Gridlife and 'Enelle propped me back up again. Props to them.

Last week's zombie movie helped, too. I attended in character of course.

I cannot get enough of Julie's blog and Vanessa's blog. Apparently they're having a rough time of it too (Julie for two very real reasons).

Ever since I heard a story about it on the radio yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about sangria. Maybe *that* is the cure for SSAD (Summer Seasonal Affective Disorder).**


At this very moment the Hex is NYC, waiting in line to see Amma, wearing Indian dress and the green dot that says he's a first-timer (and guarantees him darshan, or a hug, with her). He said the queue just to get in to the building was many blocks long.

And I had mango bubble tea this evening at a place called Tank in Little Vietnam (Argyle/Broadway). We were the only Caucasians in the joint. The entire staff there wears NATO woodlands camouflage, and our cute waitress had a graphic of a tank or armored vehicle imprinted on her cammo apron.

Apparently I was the only one who found this fascinating/ironic/scary. My comment that in 30 years people would be eating kufta at an Iraqi restaurant run by guys in desert cammo fell on near-deaf ears.

As it was, they got our order wrong, wrong, wrong (as far as I know, fish is *still*not a vegetable) and held us hostage for an eternity as we waited for our check.

Someone once gleefully pointed out to me that "Tank" is also a derogatory term for Whitey. Hmmm....


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*H the P will kill me for revealing this, but his best line was....
"Ashtanga: Sanskrit for 'Get a life.'"



**Lest you think Summer Seasonal Affective Disorder is a figment of my imagination, I found this on familydoctor.com: "A less common type of SAD, known as summer depression, usually begins in the late spring or early summer. It goes away by winter."



And from The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (which hits it right on the head, if you ax me):

"In about 1/10th of cases, annual relapse occurs in the summer rather than winter, possibly in response to high heat and humidity. During that period, the depression is more likely to be characterized by insomnia, decreased appetite, weight loss, and agitation or anxiety. Patients with such "reverse SAD" often find relief with summer trips to cooler climates in the north. Generally, normal air conditioning is not sufficient to relieve this depression, and an antidepressant may be needed."

From McMan's Depression and Bipolar Web:

"Kathryn (March 31, 2002): And do not forget Reverse SAD, a seasonally based depression that begins in the Spring and goes on until August or so. That's what I have been experiencing for about twenty years. I HATE Spring, it fills me with foreboding; Summer renders me stupid, indecisive and ravenous for carbohydrates. The theory is that my brain is over stimulated by light (the opposite of classic SAD). So I do try to avoid it, wear dark glasses, have heavy drapes in my bedroom. I am diagnosed as cyclothymic and have been on Lithium for 18 months now. This year (yay!) my pdoc is adding Lamictal, an antidepressant, to my Lithium. After keeping a detailed mood chart for the 18 months I was able to let the facts speak for themselves in persuading him I need the help. For the first time in memory, I am looking forward to spring and summer and wondering if there really is hope....fingers crossed..."


"Marsha (Feb 23, 2004): Thanks so much to Kathryn & Robert for talking about reverse SAD. I live in Texas & am practically suicidal from mid-May to October. I am overjoyed in the fall & winter, on overcast days, & especially when it's raining & cold! I was diagnosed bi-polar recently & am taking Trileptal. I had never thought to mention my horror of sun & hot-weather to my doctor, but after reading your comments I shall. Perhaps my medication will help me through this nightmarish time. I thought I was going to have to move to Seattle, but with treatment, maybe I will be able to face warm weather with a smile (I hope!)."

Here's a List of Symptoms of SAD from The National Organization for Seasonal Affective Disorder:

* a desire to oversleep and difficulty staying awake, but in some cases, disturbed sleep and early morning wakening;
* feeling fatigue and an inability to carry out normal routine;
* a craving for carbohydrates and sweet foods, usually resulting in weight gain;
* feelings of misery, guilt and loss of self-esteem, sometimes hopelessness and despair, sometimes apathy and loss of feelings;
* an irritability and desire to avoid social contact;
* a tension and inability to tolerate stress;
* a decreased interest in sex and physical contact

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:16 PM

    My comment that in 30 years people would be eating kufta at an Iraqi restaurant run by guys in desert cammo fell on near-deaf ears.

    Or, you can head over today to "Mataam al Mataam" (Restaurant, restaurant!) on Kedzie/Lawrence, it's owned by Iraqis.

    ReplyDelete