Wednesday, August 20, 2008

THE BAD NEWS:




I was trying to get to the travel agent this morning to find out about changing my return ticket. But I could not make it there because of a street demonstration.

Every time I turned down a street, I saw protesters.

Being a (semi) smart westerner, I turned tail and went home.






THE GOOD NEWS:

I saw the eye doctor this morning (before the protest began).

For the third year in a row, the eyesight has improved.

I highly recommend coming to India, for that reason alone.


* * *


As the eye exam ended and I was preparing to leave, the doctor said, "Just five minutes" and the assistant pulled down the metal shutter that covers the front window and door. "Street demonstration," he explained. "We must close for five minutes."

Bandh (strike)? I asked. Street protesters often demand that merchants close their shops - or else.

His answer was noncommittal.

Turns out he's a Jain, and was very pleased that I'm pure veg (no eggs).

Total bill for eye exam: Rs 150 (under $4).





THE UGLY NEWS:

The hands came nowhere near the feet today in Kapotasna, and one considered leaving the plane ticket as-is and exiting India as planned.


* * *



MORE GOOD NEWS:

Shahrukh Khan and I use the same bank.

1 comment: