Monday, October 14, 2019

Chogyam Trungpa on Concentration




"Meditation practice is not an attempt to enter into a trance-like state of mind nor is it an attempt to become preoccupied with a particular object. There has developed, both in India and Tibet, a so-called system of meditation which might be called 'concentration.' That is to say that this practice of meditation is based on focusing the mind on a particular point so as to be better able to control the mind and concentrate. in such practice the student chooses an object to look at, think about, or visualize and then focuses his entire attention upon it. In so doing, he tends to develop by force a certain kind of mental calm. I call this kind of practice 'mental gymnastics' because it does not attempt to deal with the totality of any given life-situation. It is based entirely on this or that, subject and object, rather than transcending the dualistic view of life.

"The practice of samadhi on the other hand does not involve concentration. This is very important to realize. Concentration practices are largely ego-reinforcing, although not purposely intended as such. Still, concentration is practiced with a particular aim and object in mind, so we tend to become centralized in the 'heart.' We set out to concentrate upon a flower, stone or flame, and we gaze fixedly at the object, but mentally we are going into the heart as much as possible. We are trying to intensify the solid aspect of form, the qualities of stability and stillness. In the long run such a practice could be dangerous. Depending upon the intensity of the meditator's will-power, we might become introverted in a way which is too solemn, fixed and rigid. This sort of practice is not conducive to openness and energy nor to a sense of humor. It is too heavy and could easily become dogmatic, in the sense that those who become involved in such practices think in terms of imposing discipline upon themselves. We think it necessary to be very serious and solemn. This produces a competitive attitude in our thinking -- the more we can render our minds captive, the more successful we are -- which is a rather dogmatic, authoritarian approach. This way of thinking, always focused on the future, is habitual with ego: 'I would like to see such and such results. I have an idealized theory or dream which I would like to put into effect.' We tend to live in the future, our view of life colored by the expectation of achieving an ideal goal. Because of this expectation we miss the precision and openness and intelligence of the present. We are fascinated, blinded and overwhelmed by the idealized goal"


from Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism


2 comments:

  1. Kali Om! What a great excerpt. I love Chogyam and this post is inspiring me to re-read the book.

    Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan! I hope you and your family are well

    The quote above reminds me of this excerpt from your old blog:

    'Yoga is pretty ironic. As you may remember, I have been really working hard at getting consistent binds in Marichyasana B. When August began, I decided to stop caring and stop getting frustrated with Mari B. Instead, I'd just do my time and attempt the binds and be completely unattached to the result. The first practice that I approached with this mindset was actually pretty incredible. Without being attached to the postures, I found myself focused solely on breathing properly and deeply, and using the postures as tools for relaxation. My forward folds were not as deep as usual and overall the practice was not as physically demanding, yet it was satisfying in a different way. When it was time for Marichyasana B, I inhaled slowly, exhaled softly, reached, and my fingers met without any effort. That which I had been straining for months to accomplish I finally reached by letting go of the effort. Yoga really is a unique practice. '

    ReplyDelete