Sunday, February 22, 2009


A MYSORE MOMENT - IN MADISON, WISCONSIN






A gentleman with a ponytail got on the hotel elevator at the same time I did early Saturday morning.

"Which floor?" he asked.

"First," I replied.

"Lobby?" he asked.

Something about the way he said the word piqued my interest.

"Are you from India?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied.

"Where are you from?"

"Bangalore."

The mind searched for the correct word for breakfast.

"Tindi aita?" I asked.

He looked surprised, but answered without missing a beat,

"Tindi aytoo."

He laughed. "How do you know Kannada?"

"I spent some time in Mysore," I said. "An important yoga teacher is there."

Now he really looked surprised.

"I'm from Mysore!" he said as the elevator reached the lobby.

"Mysore is toomba chennai gidday!" I said.

And with that we wished each other a good day and parted, smiles on our faces.


No comments:

Post a Comment