Wednesday, March 03, 2004




I had a great practice today -- was next to Bindi (who's back!) and came up four times from backbend with very little slapstick -- but a headache and some loose motions* and exhaustion have come and I spent most of the day lounging in my blue and magenta room at the very decent Kaveri Lodge (close to the toilet). So here's a little something I've been working on in my free time over the past few weeks (we're all budding linguists to some extent, aren't we?). BTW these are all things that I've found to be in regular use here -- on signs and in conversation, fillums and the media:


MYSORE DICTIONARY, PT. DEUX

Red Indian --Native American
Batswana--Temple Bull
Panchayat--Village Council
Inflammable--Flammable
Monkey Cap--Knit Hat
Bonesetter--Chiropractor
Goonda--Thug
Roaming--Galavanting
Members-People
Come--Follow Me
KumKum--Red Powder
Dress--Outfit
Tonga--Animal-Drawn Cart
Tank --Pond
Camp--Workshop
Mela--Meet
Fillum--Movie
Talkies--Movie Theatre
Dustbin--Garbage Can
Tablets--Pills
Injection--IV
Peg--Shot or Swig
Slush-Mud
Puncher--Flat Tire
For Hire--For Rent
Parcel--To Go
Wallah--Man
Yaar--Man (Dude)
Ambaa--Moo
"I'm Telling"--"And I Sez"


----

*regarding loose motions, or do you say diarrhea:
My rule of thumb is this: If I have it more than 24-36 hours and especially if there's a temperature or other symptons I take my ass (so to speak) straight to the doctor or ayurvedic hospital, stat. I've learnt (as has Bindi, the hard way) that the sooner you get it taken care of here, the better. This is in direct conflict with the policy of some of my newby fellow travelers, some of whom have had blood in their stool for days and/or diarrarhea for weeks and have done nothing about it. HELLO! You're in India, not at home where you wait til you can't walk to see a doctor. Bacteria is everywhere, you have nothing to do all day, it's Rs 75 ($1.50) for an office visit and if you wait too long you'll suffer not just from dehyrdation but permanent damage to your kidneys. GO!



No comments:

Post a Comment