Tuesday, August 31, 2010

SANSKARAS, VASANAS, AND A FAVORITE NEW OLD BLOG





I first discovered Leaping Lanka's blog in 2004. I was delighted to find a Mysore blog that was intelligent, well-written *and* funny *and* self-effacing - a rare combination on the interweb.

Yesterday, I re-discovered Jason's blog. Like me, he's been posting to the same blog since 2003 (and, like me, he stayed four months on his first trip to Mysore... although I was at the old shala).

Here's an excerpt:

As I continue with this practice, I’ve noticed that my self-illusions and tendencies don’t go away. I can recognize them for what they are, though: illusions, preferences, and tendencies.

Once named, they don’t seem to such power. The skill of the yogi is the skillful manipulation and enjoyment of those tendencies, and perhaps even the realization that those illusions are gifts to be skillfully shared.

I spent four months in India on my first trip, and on my return to the studio in Encinitas, Tim [Miller]padded over to me as I prepared to take baddha konasana. He saw what must have been a transformation. He shrugged, and said, “Well, I guess you don’t need me anymore,” and walked off.

Of course, then came bhekasana, kapotasana ... ghanda berundasana, supta trivrkrmasana, raja kapotasana ... It never ends.

I hope it never does.




Read more here.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I think that these tendencies - Sanskaras and Vasanas - tend to fall away the deeper one goes into their practice (I don't mean just asana practice, but the whole nine yards - including the ethical roots, scriptural studies, pranayama, concentration, meditation, etc). As we empty ourselves, our distractions, hobbies and personality begin to fall away, and God can begin to fill us up.

Of course the Sanskaras don't completely fall away. As Chandra Om says, they are always waiting, like a wildcat, ready to pounce. I agree with Jason that the trick is to make peace with them. I also think it is important to learn how to minimize their influence when they do reappear.

As Sri Dharma Mittra says, we must sit and watch the patterns of the mind - and then fight them with angry determination.

When we fail, we must start over the next day.

"The secret to success in yoga is constant practice," says Dharma.

It really doesn't ever end.

1 comment:

  1. jason taught in tokyo right before me. he wore a sign on his chest (i will not buy anything)
    good for him.
    i spent lots of $$$ in tokyo. easy.

    ReplyDelete