SRI DHARMA MITTRA'S RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE NEW YEAR 2009
To my dearest students and friends,
1. Spend time Meditating. Meditation is unbroken concentration and the most effective type is self-reflection. Spend at least 15 minutes meditating every morning.
2. Get serious about your practice! One must get serious and simply attending class is not enough. Spend at least 15 minutes each morning doing Asana and focus on the main ones: Headstand, Shoulderstand, Plow, Fish and Cobra.
3. Drink lots of green juices and remember the first Yama [ethnical root], Ahimsa. As long as you are involved with violence, your meditation will go nowhere.
4. Understand the five subtle bodies or sheaths so that you can commence negating them at once.
5. How you begin something is of great significance. If you begin the New Year with a big mug of coffee, it sets the wrong tone for the entire year to come. Begin 2009 committed to the attainment of Self-Knowledge.
6. Outside of the three main texts, The Bhagavad Gita, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali and Hatha Yoga Padipika [links at right], read and study Swami Sivananda’s Self-Knowledge as it contains all the answers.
7. Dedicate the fruit of all action and be nice to everyone.
OM Shanti, Shanti, Shanti.
Dharma - who rarely comes to Chicago - will be at the Yoga Journal Conference at the Grand Geneva Resort in Wisconsin March 26-29. This is a rare opportunity to study wtih a self-realized master. Details here.
He will also appear at the Kripalu Center February 27 through March 1 for an intensive called Shiva Namaskara: Yoga as a Divine Offering. Details here.
List posted with permission of the Dharma Mittra Yoga Center.