Friday, February 06, 2004

BAD FORM, PART II

A couple of nights ago Bindi and I were buying bananas, etc. at the little storefront down the street. As I was paying I noticed a woman behind me, pressing up against me (ideas about personal space here differ from those in the US). We'd encountered a lot of beggars that day and she was holding out a tin. So as I left I dropped in a coin. It made a huge clinking sound that reverberated down the street, as the thing was empty. The woman looked at it, looked at me and started laughing. So did the shopkeeper. Then I realized she was a middle class lady in line to buy something, probably ghee (clarified butter). Boy, was my face red.

So far this is the most Ugly 'Merican thing I've done since coming here. That I know of, anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment