Sunday, May 30, 2010

THAT PETROL EMOTION II: APARIGRAHA = NON-GREED







The more oil that gurgles up from that hole in the Gulf, the less inclined I am to drive the car.

(And the less inclined I am to heat the various yoga rooms to the 80 degrees the students are acostomed to. Greed is part of the problem here: BP's greed for profits, our greed for gas and heat on a hot day and petroleum products like, say, fancy stretchy yoga clothes).

So I've been on the bike every day for the past eight days.

I hope to stay off of it all weekend.

Although it's clunky and slow, I'm hoping to ride it downtown to teach tomorrow morning - for the first time in eons.

It's a loooooong ride.

Here's hoping the weather cooperates.





--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here for That Petrol Emotion I.

12 comments:

  1. I remember riding my bike everywhere in Chicago! To the diner, to UIC to Lounge AX. Ahhh. What a blessing to be healthy enough and to have civilized weather to ride, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NYC subways make it easy. I haven't driven a car since I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus the city is flat (and filled with bike lanes).

    That said, I drove today (due to storm warnings).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:53 PM

    And when it is a cold winters night, you are the first to whine about the lack of landlord heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lack of heat in winter sucks, period.

    There's no need to suffer.

    Nor should one take more than s/he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boo boo bear3:40 PM

    Ironically enough, I rode my bike to buy stretchy yoga stuff today. I confess!! (albeit anonymously!) I could feel the temperature drop as I rode down Halsted. Yes, a cold front. It wasn't supposed to rain until noon. But I had to have my petrol inspired yoga gear. Around 10:30 the heavens opened and the rain came down. Might the Universe disapprove of my new yoga gear? I don't think that's the case. I tried to be mindful. I did try thrifting but couldn't find what I was looking for. Do yogis have the equivalent of what Catholics call penance? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:28 PM

    I suggest a move to India, then no need to waste fossil fuels to keep your living space heated.

    Of course, air conditioning might be needed.

    What would Buddha do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice to hear! i am also a bike rider, and wear strechy yoga clothes, but those made from organic cotton or bamboo... spread the word ; ) they feel nicer, smell nicer...ok so they cost a little more, but we'll wear them a little longer, and support more ethical companies in the meantime om shanti shanti ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where do you find these clothes (is there a website or company name)?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favourites are

    sweaty betty - nice cotton and bamboo selection.

    prancing leopard - divinely soft cotton, you want to live in them

    patagonia - organic cotton range. expensive but last for ages and ages ; )

    all online, I live in Japan and it's hard to find western sizes, these are all great! happy shopping xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, エスタ !

    Om Shanti

    ReplyDelete