Saturday, June 04, 2011

LITTLE HOUSES



I've been intrigued by small places for a long time. I'm always shocked when I see shows like "House Hunters," where single people often won't settle for less than three bedrooms and two baths. The mainstream American lifestyle is all about taking more than one actually needs. It also brings up the issue of greed, which is addressed in the Yoga Sutras:

aparigrahasthairye janmakathamtasambodhah
One who is not greedy is secure. He has time to think deeply.
His understanding of himself is complete. ~ Yoga Sutra II.39


The interest in small places was re-ignited while reading Swami Muktananda's "Play of Consciousness." He did much of his sadhana in the small hut, above. (The picture in the book is far more dear: it shows him as well as the beautiful mango tree that was like his best friend....the path can be very lonely even for the oldest of souls).

Then I saw this video, of a family that lives in 320-square-foot shotgun shack that cost just $15,000 new and is in a rural area, where they pay a little over $100 a month to lease the land:




And I thought, what a perfect place for sadhana....








Learn more about the Small House Movement here.




10 comments:

  1. I know ALL about small houses...
    we have just rented out our 4 bedroom home and have moved to a One bedroom cottage. Ane if truth be told...I have never been happier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking a break from my knitting to check some blogs and see you nailed my suburbanite pet peeve--oversized houses. There's so much wasted space/energy. Many of my big-house neighbors don't use all their space but have been sold on the dream of having it. I've seen quite a few rooms without furniture. Have you seen Susan Saranka's books? Her designs are bigger than the "tiny house" movement but highly drool-worthy.

    I see too that you were sick last week. Hope you're doing better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the pics - it looks so cute.

    Do you have enough space to practice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All better now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting.

    Less is more, so often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks C.K.
    I do have space if I move some things around! It all works :~)
    (glad you're feeling better too!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be right next door....

    ReplyDelete
  8. less to clean :-) it also keeps you from hoarding too much. just like when i had a college fridge for 14 years! (i do like my full size better though)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easier to heat and cool, too.

    ReplyDelete