Sunday, April 25, 2010

BYE-BYE, ANKLE BRACE?!



Yesterday I accidentally arrived a good hour early for self-practice with Lino. Oops!

So I had a lot of time to sit in front of Shiva, Ganesh, Hanuman and the many photos of Pattabhi Jois at the altar, and contemplate how may people around the world have been helped by this wonderful practice of his (Lino is opening a new asthanga shala next month in Estonia. Estonia!). The tears flowed of course. How I miss him. But how alive he still seems.

The body felt good during practice.

Lino knew this better than I did, and adjusted me for the first time in Bhekasana. The ankle did not protest. I couldn't believe it.

He also gave me my first foot-on-foot adjustment in Supta Vajrasana.

The foot was fine!

So halfway through practice, I pulled off the ankle brace and threw it away.

It was like the flappers bobbing their hair.....

Like the feminists burning their bras....

Like the ashtangis tossing out the props!


It felt like a whole new beginning.

For the moment, anyway.




* * * * * * * * *


I spent the rest of the day at the workshop, observing the led primary series and taking the adjustments and techniques segment. The first is wonderful because you learn correct vinyasa (how to enter and exit the poses in coordination wtih the breath). The second is wonderful because you find out how the vinyasa count works, learn some adjustments, and hear the stories. The stories are the best. Lino told the one about how Guruji told him, shortly after they met, that by spending one month with him, he'd make as much progress as practicing 12 months on his own. Lino has that same effect. Five days with him has healed what probably would have taken another two or three months on my own. Kovalam, here I come!



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo (c) 4-21-10 by Rena Goodfriend-Leve. Lino is sporting the Ashtanga Yoga Police tee.

2 comments: